7 March 2010

What a week

As of this week, I can say that I'm both officially a DJ and a stalker. What a great combination that is. Actually, come to think of it, it is: in both occasions you get to lurk outside of the view of the persons you're trying to reach, whilst trying to control their minds. What a creep I am. But as all weirdos do (I can proudly say that can now also be included in this group), I also do normal things, like enjoying a chamber music concerto in my living room on Sunday morning. I'll leave it up to you whether that's normal, but at least it's a lot more sophisticated than stalking guys on tube stations.

I might also tell you something about what I'm up to at my placement at UCL, as it's getting nearer and nearer to its due date. This week, I spend most of my time writing an abstract of what I've been doing so far for the head of department: Jane. I've got a meeting with her somewhere next week, and I've been told that my supervisor, Laura, is already terrified at the very thought of this meeting. Not that she thinks that I've not been doing any good work, no, it's more the 'Jane' factor here, and that we're going to have a meeting with her, with just the two of us there. See, usually Laura goes in to meetings with her with the entire Gemini team, but this time, it will be just me and her. And as meetings with Jane can be rather depressing (I've seen people come back from them), she's not looking forward to it too much. And I've been trying to do a write-up of the things will be discussing in this very meeting, how very nice. One of the things I hate most about writing abstracts, or any scientific writing, is the word limit. On this particular occasion I had a word limit of 500 words and had to include all of my results so far, which is only about half of all the analyses I'll end up doing. My first draft already reached the 800 word mark and did not contain all the requested results. Great. I managed to cut it down to 571 words by Friday, with all results included, and I'll just hope for the best I guess. Other than that, I've been mostly entering data, which is also a lot of fun.

But not as much fun as seeing one of your flatmates do some baroque dancing, whilst dressed as a sofa (her own words, though I wholeheartedly agree). This performance took place during lunch break at the Royal Academy of Music, a place I should stay away from as all the guys there are musicians (or should spend all my time there, though that would probably result in me taking my stalking just that bit too far).

Other than that, more gig reviews from last week! Yay!

U.S. Girls/Time/Heatsick @ Cafe Oto Well, as I've already written a full review on that, I'll be short: ignore both Heatsick and Time for the time being, but give U.S. Girls a try if you're into noise and Fever Ray.

Los Campesinos!/Swanton Bombs/Islet @ New Slang Yes, you have seen that same line-up just last week. And I went to see them again, in Kingston this time. Only an hour and a half by train from Central London (but still London), and just under two hours if you'd want to get back on the night bus after the gig's finished at about half 12. I guess I can't complain about missing train rides and getting home late after gigs anymore. So, sixth time I saw LC!, but this time in a venue that was a lot smaller than Koko. Not in size actually, as it was huge, but more in not-being-packed. Apparently, people in Kingston have no taste whatsoever. However, this little fact did lead to a rather familiar situation, with me being surrounded by LC! members during the first support act: Islet, who I really, really like by now. At first, it was rather embarrassing, as I happened to be the only person there who went to stand in front of the stage when Islet started to play (others preferred lurking in the back, which I can relate to, you know). Luckily, I noticed I was soon joined by some other people. When I took a glance to see who was standing next to me, it happened to be Neil and Gareth Campesinos! (yes, the guy I would end up stalking just two days later), which was familiar as this also happened about two years back in the Melkweg. I did tell Gareth to play either Paradiso or the Affaire Festival in Nijmegen next time they're in Holland, so hopefully no more Melkweg gigs after the one next week, which he is, as always, very much looking forward to (as opposed their gig in Paris, as Paris isn't very interesting and French people are rather weird).
As the first time, Islet really managed to leave a good impression. If you get a chance to see them leave: please do. I really ought to try and find some of their music online somewhere... Swanton Bombs were a lot better than last week, as I kind of liked them this time. Maybe that had to do with the shorter set they did this time, or the fact that Neil and Ollie Campesinos! joined me at the front for this performance, but still they were okay.
Los Campesinos! were awesome as always (I can know, sixth time I saw them this time), though the crowd was what you would expect from Kingston, had you ever been there (no need for the Tories to campaign there). Unfortunately, not everyone felt the same way, causing one idiot to throw some beer at the stage, which found its way to my head (yes, I was standing at the front line again as I like the flaming limbs there), Neil's effects pedals (not a good combination) and Neil himself. As I was told yesterday, the guy got thrown out, but still, it wasn't good for the atmosphere. LC! didn't even do an encore, which was a first time for me (apart from the time I saw them at Lowlands festival, but you can't really do an encore on a festival now can you?). On the bright side: they did play 'Ways to Make It Through the Wall' this time, opposed to Koko, so that made it all worthwhile.

Jeremy Jay/Internet Forever @ The Rest Is Noise I guess I have to thank Gareth Campesinos! for this one, as I was under the impression Jeremy Jay was going to be on on Sunday. I was kindly corrected on this, and was urged to get there early as Internet Forever were also supposedly really good. As I by now really trust Gareth's musical recommendations (the man's put me on to Zola Jesus and Former Ghosts, of which the first is releasing an excellent EP next week, and the latter's album ended up in third place on my end of year list of 2009), I felt like I ought to check this band out. And it paid out, as they were by far the best band of the evening. Internet Forever are a three piece from London/Cambridge, who make a kind of poppy, noisy indie-tronica, if you so wish to call it. Johnny Foreigner without the chaos, a sane version of Da[na]^5ykroyd, or, if you want to go there, a more Xiu Xiu-inspired version of Los Campesinos!. And really charming live.
Not some much for Jeremy Jay. The man himself appears to be a control freak, ordering the members of his band around in not too kind a fashion. While this only puts his fellow musicians off, his performance puts the audience off. After only three or four songs, he has managed to empty out the entire venue. Which is rather admirable in a way, as it was packed and it happened to be a pub, which has the obvious attraction of alcohol being within arm´s reach at any time, a fact that surely would lead to people putting up with some bad music. People do have their limits though, as Jeremy Jay has proved this night. I only stayed because I´m Dutch and had to pay to get in (though I did manage to get a £2 discount on the £3 entry price), and I like to get what I paid for.

Oh, and if someone is going to see LC! in Amsterdam next Sunday: say hi to Gareth for me :).

No comments:

Post a Comment